Monday, December 15, 2014

What if he had said YES?


 I have asked myself that question numerous times concerning a man that rejected the gospel in Tanzania.

On our recent trip to Tanzania, Teresa and I went on a motorcycle ride/evangelism trip with James and Paulo (our translator).  We went to tell the Zaramo tribe about Jesus and pass out bibles.  On our way back from this evangelism trip, we stopped on the side of the road for a break.  In the 5 mins that we were stopped, an older Tanzanian man (I cannot remember his name so we will call him Steve) came walking by.  I looked at James and said, "tell him the story."  James spent the next 10 mins telling Steve the greatest story ever told.

James has an amazing passion when talking about Jesus.  His voice has a sincerity that draws people in.

When the story was done, James asked Steve if he would like to accept Christ as his Lord and Savior.

We had been telling this story all day to the Zaramo people, and we had met with incredible success. This time was different. After hearing the Gospel story, Steve told to James, "I do not need to be forgiven; I have no sin."

I do not know if it was pride or culture that kept this man from admitting his sin, but no matter what James said after that, Steve would not bend his knee to Christ. His heart was hard and could not admit  his faults.

Right after that, another man named Simon approached on a bike. It was my turn to tell the story of Jesus, and Simon gladly accepted the offer of forgiveness. He gladly accepted the rule of Christ as King.

I know what you are thinking.....its obvious that I must have been better at telling this story than James. Normally that would definitely be the case, because lets face it; I'm kinda awesome...but on this occasion it was the same story, the same road, the same culture, but two very different outcomes.

Just like everywhere else in the world, some people do not want to admit weakness and submit to a higher authority. Others recognize that they are not complete without the saving graces of Christ. From the moment that I was reborn in prison until now, I cannot understand why I went so long denying the truth of the Gospel. Because of that, I now have a desire inside of me to help people see that truth.

At that moment there was nothing we could do for Steve but pray. We promised both men we would come back to their village and give them bibles, as we had already passed everything we brought that day to the Zaramo. For the next 3-4 days, I thought about Steve a lot.  Why would he not admit his sin?  He had no idea of the ramifications of rejecting the Gospel, and there was no way for me to spend the weeks or months or years needed to walk him through that choice.  We literally had to leave him in the dust of those motorcycles and move on.

What if he had said yes?!!!!?


Steve is in the trench coat, Simon is next to the bike.



Almost a week later we went on another mission trip out to the Zaramo, this time in a mini van on a dirt road loaded down with hundreds of bibles.  As we were on our way, I asked if we could try to find Steve. It took us well over an hour, 4 villages and miles of walking and riding to locate him.

When we finally found the three-hut village where he was, James told Paulo evangelize and pass out bibles, that we would stay in the van.  James is always encouraging people to step up and take the lead (just one of the reasons why people are willing to follow him across an ocean and into the wilderness at the drop of a hat). We approached a group of 12 gentlemen hanging out around a fire.

We told Paulo to present Steve with a bible and ask him if he had time to reconsider.  After about 15 minutes, Paulo said that Steve was shocked that we actually tracked him down to give him the bible. Steve said that he was unable to stop thinking about the Gospel ever since that day on the road.  It was this restlessness that allowed him to admit his sin and ask Christ to be his Lord and Savior.  He thought he had missed his chance at redemption, and was glad we stayed true to our word in tracking him down.  I could barely contain myself!!  I was not ready for a yes.  We collected all of the water we had (abut a cup) and Paulo prayed with the man and baptized him right there on the spot.

However, if you look at the picture below you will notice two men: the man in the trench coat, Steve, who had originally rejected the gospel and another. The second man heard the gospel while Paulo was talking to Steve.  He stood up among the men and said he wanted to be saved.  Steve's initial rejection of the gospel and us finding him again allowed this man to hear about salvation.

You see, God can to use our stubbornness to progress His Will.  The same happened to me.  I was so stubborn towards God's truth that I found my self incarcerated in prison for almost a decade, but it was in prison that I was saved and eventually helped many see the light of the Gospel.  What if Steve or I had said yes, the first time we heard the Gospel?  It made me realize that we should never write someone off as a lost cause, because one "no"  can turn into a "yes" for many in the future.

Keep telling the greatest story ever told and you are bound to see the unreachable get reached.



Steve in the same trench coat and his friend






No comments:

Post a Comment